Outstreched arm

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

I'm Batman

Today I had a metrosexual experience. Well, truth be told, it was more metro- than -sexual, but it still qualifies.

I was at the grocery store, in line behind an older couple who didn't speak English. They had picked up a bunch of vegetables, and the poor teenage cashier started sweating when numerous unmarked, unlabeled leaves and roots rolled with the conveyor belt. He stopped at a long green and white vegetable and said, "Uh, I'm afraid I don't know what this is."

The couple surely knew what it was, but that didn't help the Arby's-fed boy ring it up, since they most likely didn't even understand his question. After a few seconds, I decided to prevent the certain disaster.

"That," I offered, "is a leek. L-e-e-k. It makes for good soup, especially vichysoisse."

With that, I flung my cape open and flew out into the cold, bitter night. This small victory warmed my heart, but the thought of other men and women in similar peril chilled it again. Will I ever find peace?

There are 1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The mad blogger is back clad in his cape and full of wonders!

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment