Outstreched arm

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Wererabbit? Thererabbit!

I haven't the heart to "review" Nick Park's latest masterpiece, Wallace and Grommit: The Curse of The Were-rabbit. It's a movie I would have liked as much when I was eight as I do now. Really, compared to it, the likes of Shrek and Ice Age are super-obvious, textbook urban comedies. Park's humor is often embarrassingly outdated, but instead of being embarrassed, I just rolled my eyes for a second and laughed on. The CGI short from Dreamworks that preceded the main feature was rather confusing to me because I haven't seen Madagascar (on which it's based), but I didn't really mind it. It just had none of the jaw-dropping 3D presence of claymation. It would be unfair, however, to single that out as Park's best weapon. Both his visual themes - English country ranging from cutely ugly to ugly - and his direction are iconic in that they make you think you've seen this style somewhere else, but no reference fits better than Park's own movies.

But there I go reviewing it. Aw, just go and see it, chum.

There are 0 Comments:

Post a Comment