Outstreched arm

Monday, September 24, 2007

You like?

Here's the thing: A History of Violence really wasn't all that. It had some interesting scenes but overall it felt like the comic book it was. This is why I went to see Eastern Promises cautiously optimistic.

And hey, it was pretty damn good. It's not a very deep "analysis" of the Russian crime web, and it's not terribly insightful. But it has a solid story, it's economic with its characters and sets, and it lets Viggo shine. It's surprising how "small" the whole thing feels, actually. MY memory of it places all the happenings in two or three rainy days, a few brief encounters, and a mild dose of Godfatherish paternizing by calmly threatening father-figures. No biggie. Fun.

P.S. I still don't get the title "Eastern Promises". I'll feel really stupid when someone explains it to me, I know.

Labels:

There are 2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I wondered about the title myself. The only think I could think of was that it somehow refers to the promises of better life used to lure young Russian women to London in order to turn them into prostitutes. Or maybe that would be Western Promises then?

3:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't get the title either.

I looked it up and it's mostly filmed in east london (accurate for where these types of people would be), but it's still an odd choice. Maybe it's more about promises made to people from russia and eastern europe.

I might be going to the first showing in the UK, perhaps I can collar mr cronenberg and ask!

3:23 PM  

Post a Comment